To make listening to my podcasts even easier I made a Smart Playlist in iTunes to consolidate my unplayed podcasts. Here’s what I did:
- In iTunes, select “New Smart Playlist…” from the File menu
- In the Smart Playlist rules create a rule for “Podcast is true”
- Add a rule by clicking on the + next to the first rule
- Set the second rule to “Play Count is 0”
- You can add more rules if you like, or just click OK and name the playlist
This Smart Playlist has a couple advantages when playing podcasts. First, podcasts will play continuously, so when one podcast ends, the next one will begin. Second, podcasts will not drop off this list until you have played them to the end. This is better than the “is new” indicator in the Podcasts list which disappears as soon as you start playing a podcast.
Update: As an added advantage if you are sorting by item number you can drag and drop your podcasts to change their play order.